Linnet's Wings lies across from dramatic cliffs of the Frio River that rise to Circle Bluff. The camp is one of our most popular for smaller groups and serves the original vision established in 1954 when the Butt Family first bought the Wolf Ranch to provide a place where young people who might not otherwise be able to afford it could have a first class camping experience. Today, this historic campsite is shared between two programs—H. E. Butt Foundation Camp and Laity Lodge Family Camp.
Telephone: 830- 232-3730
Long distance calls may be made with a calling card. Cell phones do not work in the Canyon.
Linnet’s Wings is unavailable May through mid August and has limited availability throughout the year.
86 total beds (heated but not air-conditioned)
Cabin bathrooms have 2 lavatories, 2 showers, and 2 commodes.
The kitchen has a commercial LP gas range (six burners, two conventional ovens, and a grill), a commercial refrigerator, commercial freezer, an ice machine, adequate counter and cupboard space, and a three-well sink for washing dishes and pots and pans. The kitchen is supplied with plates, cups, bowls, tumblers, flatware, and serving pieces. A serving counter faces the dining area. Food preparation utensils and containers are well-stocked, including large spoons, forks, ladles, spatulas, tongs, sharp knives, large bowls, sheet pans, roasting pans, a coffee maker, pitchers, funnels, strainer/colander, whisk, etc.
- Please do not use disposable products such as paper plates, plastic cups, tableware, etc.
- You must bring all consumable goods such as paper towels, toilet paper, trash bags, dish towels, soap, cleaning supplies, etc.
- Please plan to haul your garbage to a dumpster located on the property.
- BBQ pits are available, but you must bring your own charcoal, firewood, and starter.
The Dining Hall is adjacent to the kitchen, separated only by a serving counter and partial wall and doubles as a meeting room. A large fireplace dominates one end of the room (bring firewood). An adjacent open porch and deck furnished with picnic tables and benches provides additional dining/meeting space. The Dining Hall is heated but not air-conditioned.
An open-air covered pavilion can be used for meetings, worship, activities, etc. It has bench seats and is surrounded on two sides by a deck which affords additional seating.
The water is quiet but deep and safe only for competent swimmers. There is no wading area.
- A certified lifeguard must supervise all waterfront activity.
- While fishing, please observe our “catch and release” policy.
- Canoes are available. Personal flotation devices are furnished and must be worn in the canoes.
- A natural amphitheater facing the river is an ideal site for a campfire—firewood is not furnished.
- Linnet’s Wings has a large playing field suitable for soccer, softball, capture-the-flag, and other large group games.
- Sand volleyball and half-court basketball courts are located near the playing field. You must provide your own sports equipment.
- Hiking trails are nearby.